Monday, September 10, 2007

Back on Track

A few months have passed but I've been working hard on getting back on track and eating mindfully and intuitively. In May I started working with a holistic nutritionist. She is wonderful. Her plan is not only holistic but realistic.:-)
My weight did not fall off like I thought it would once I started eating more mindfully again. I'd lose a pound or two and gain it back the next week. Frustrating. This went on for almost 3 months. I lost about 5 pounds in that time. Not great but at least I didn't gain. But then my nutritionist, Noelle, started a fat burning group and the first two weeks I had the same problem, pounds down, pounds back on. SO I decided to keep a food journal..again. After Noelle looked at it she saw that I was not eating ENOUGH! But how can an obese woman NOT lose weight by NOT eating??? Doesn't make sense to me. But she said my body thought I was starving it so it held on to the weight. Wasn't that nice and thoughtful of my body...NOT!
But anyway the 8 week group program is over and I've lost about 11 pounds in those weeks. But my total loss since I wrote last is about 13 pounds. As of right now I weigh 229. I don't want to be that 200+ pound woman anymore. During the program I realized I need to boost up my exercise. Doing it occasionally wasn't going to get the weight off. For the past few weeks I've been getting up and exercising with some old videos, Donna Richardson from the 80s/90s and Leslie Sansone's Walk the Walk. The weight is definitely moving around. I feel like I am getting muscle and losing fat. It may not show up on the scale as fast as I'd like but it is slowly releasing itself. I'm going to continue with the food journal as it keeps me honest. I am going to try and ramp up the exercise again as well. I am going to attempt Yoga Booty Ballet once I get my DVD player working. And then I'm going to borrow some tapes from the library too.

Also I feel the need to discuss the scale. That small piece of equipment that can make or break a day. In a previous post I mentioned some diet books and doctors recommend only weighing once a week or monthly or never. Personally for me, I've been getting on the scale twice a day, once in the morning after my shower and then at night before I go to bed. For me, it's a way I can monitor how well I've done eating and exercising for the day. At first, the fluctuating pounds drove me crazy but now that I'm making better food choices and exercising it helps to keep me motivated and if I gain a pound or two I know I need to look at my food journal and maybe increase my exercise that day. I'm not going to release this weight as fast as I'd like, but damn it, with Noelle's help and support I'm going to reach my goal!

Gut Instinct: By writing in a food journal, daily weigh-ins and exercising I will release my weight and reach my goals.

1 comment:

noelle said...

Hello my friend Dottie, I am so proud of you for putting this out there. Your words have power and meaning and by being able to view them you will gain such inner strength! Also the universe will hear what you are asking for and you will receive it. You should publish this. There are so many people out there fighting this battle and it could truly help them. WAY TO GO !!!!!
Love, Noelle