Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Biggest Loser on TV = Motivation


Last night was the premiere episode of this season's Biggest Loser. I find that show to be a huge motivator for me. All those people over 200 pounds, busting their butts working out, and learning healthy eating habits. I wish I had Bob or Kim or even Jillian (even though she's so tough she's scary) as my trainers and I also wish I had 6 hours to work out each day ( not that I really want to work out that long, but when they weigh-in they lose so much weight each week that I wouldn't mind trying it). But that's what's great about the show. They are committed to losing the weight for good and if they're not, then they get sent home in the elimination round. For example, in last night's episode, Amber's heart wasn't into it and during the workouts she cried that she wanted to go home. I felt badly for her because she could really use the trainers' guidance.
Those of us seriously on the weight loss journey know that your heart has to be in it. There has to be commitment. For the first time in many years I finally feel ready; this is the year I release the weight that has been holding me back from living fully.Sure, some days that commitment weakens but the difference is I get right back on track. I don't let one bad day or binge ruin the whole week. Like Kim said last night, "I can help anyone change their body, but I can't change their mind. They have to make up their minds. they have to want it more than anything." And I DO want it more than anything.

I just love the older guy on the show. He lost so much weight in 7-10 days.
I loved his mantra while he was on the treadmill, "Age is only a number."


I wrote that I know I have to ramp up my exercise, either by doing different tapes, exercises or exercise longer or probably both. I would love to get a treadmill one of these days too. Maybe it's time to get back to the gym so I can use the ellipticals and treadmills there and maybe take a water aerobics class. I love the gym once I'm there, it's the getting there part. I have to make time for it and I promise myself that I will get back to the gym soon.

I may try interval training by walking and doing intervals of one-two minutes of running. I'm not a runner but I think it will make a huge difference in my weight loss. I admit there is some fear behind that idea. That's why I wish I had someone to walk or train with. The buddy or group thing works for me. Wouldn't it be great to have a trainer/buddy/group that would go with you on hikes, walks, kayaking, and do some of the fun looking exercises/challenges they do on the Biggest Loser? I think it would be fantastic! It would be so much fun! I wonder if there are trainers out there that do those kinds of things with their clients? Please let me know if you know of any trainers like that.

Gut Instinct: Exercise can be fun!












1 comment:

stayathomefeminist said...

Love reading your words and I FIND THEM MOTIVATING to me to exercise, eat consciously and not let one bad day turn into a week-month long binge. Thanks for sending me the link. Keep writing. Sea glass girl