Monday, September 24, 2007

Trigger Foods

Last week I wrote about my sister bringing cookies into my house. I managed to avoid the Milanos until last night...I wanted to eat the whole bag just to get them gone but I managed to eat only 2, but we still had the Oreos hanging around. However, they got a little stale and were soft. Now that doesn't bother me...I'll eat them anyway. I took a few (maybe 5) and threw the rest of them out reasoning that they were stale and no one would want them except for me. Well I was wrong because my 14-year old went looking for them and when I told her I threw them away she got upset and said she likes them soft because she usually dunks them in milk so it doesn't matter. Oh well. I had to do what I had to do so I wouldn't eat anymore Oreos.


Having these cookies in the house has triggered me. I've been craving sugar and sweets. Which leads me to craving carbs and not the good complex kind, but the simple, turn into sugar, kind. For example, I had a MacDonalds hamburger for dinner tonight at work because it is quick and easy. I also got a side salad though, instead of fries so it could have been worse. But then later a coworker bought me a chocolate mint Lindt ball which I have been avoiding. Worse than that though is that I got home at 10:30, my kids were in bed, but my 17 -year old middle child who wants to be a chef left me a note saying dinner was in the oven. I figured I'd wrap it up but when I took it out, the smell of it made me want some...she made a pasta and chicken, pesto, tomato sauce casserole with melted cheese on top. I took a small scoop. Microwaved it and chowed down. YUM...seconds....yes I had a larger bowl and still not done. I had a weight watchers ice cream bar. UGH Now I am full but I should be getting to bed. Why didn't I listen to my body??? I was not hungry at all...but seeing food made me want it and I couldn't stop. No excuses. I just had a minor binge. Back on track tomorrow.


The crazy thing is I am still exercising almost every day. For the past couple of days I've worked out with a tape AND gone for a 20-30 minute walk. The weather has been sooooo beautiful I wanted to enjoy it while it's here. I also take my journal notebook and do my morning pages (a la The Artist Way by Julia Cameron) at the sea wall. There is no way to describe the bliss of writing by the sea, with the waves as background music, the sun and sky as your light and the salty air caressing your skin. Aaahhh!!

Thank goodness I'm exercising otherwise I'd be gaining all my weight back as it is I have gained a pound as of this morning. I will have to avoid the scale tomorrow after my late night pasta and WW ice cream mini-binge.



One more week until the Boot Camp begins!! Can't wait!!

Gut Instinct: Avoid trigger foods. Ask sister to take cookies home with her.



No comments: