Thursday, September 20, 2007

From Coaching to Cookies

It's been a few days since I've posted because I've had a bout with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome-'nuff said) and like a good friend says "share not scare" so I won't go into details. Just ask anyone you know who has IBS.

But anyway....I had my appointment with Cynergy Coaching and I'm all set. Cynthia, the owner/trainer is faxing my doctor to get clearance for me since I do have several health issues such as high blood pressure (on meds), pre-diabetes, and heart issues (open heart surgery to repair a hole in my heart). I am psyched to get started. I even asked my boss at work if I could start at 11 a.m. instead of 10 a.m. so that I could do the 9 a.m. class and she agreed. Yay! It will be like the Biggest Loser except I won't get kicked off for not working out enough or not losing weight. Cynthia measured my waist and hips because she said I may not see a huge weight loss but I will see inches lost.

Doing this boot camp is a big step for me because I can barely last 10 minutes on a treadmill. I don't do aerobic classes at the gym because I usually turn beet red and the instructor always comments/worries. Hey, I'm Irish and light skinned and I have rosacea...I get red in the face faster than Britney Spears publicist.

To challenge myself physically in a group is a challenge all by itself. Deep in my heart I know this is the next step and that this WILL change my life and my body. I've let my body go for far too long. How can I ignore the synchronicity of wishing on my blog for a challenge and someone emailing me with Cynergy's website. Notice the messages sent from universe, well, at least the cyberspace universe.

Now that I've shared my fitness goals I will have to be honest here. This is a blog on intuitive eating and being conscious and aware. Last night my sister came for dinner and she brought Pepperidge Farms Milano cookies. Now, my sister is fairly thin and in shape for a 60-year old but she enjoys cookies with her tea at night. It's a family thing. We all like cookies. My mother used to give me Chips Ahoy and Tea for breakfast when I was a teenager. Comfort food. Trigger food. My sister can stop at 2, once I start I have a hard time stopping. After she left I had a cup of tea and 4 Milanos. And we had some Oreos she brought too, so I had half a dozen of those. I blew my day with cookies. I wasn't hungry. I was tired. Ignored my intuition. I gave into temptation even though I knew I shouldn't. Should have gone to bed. However, I have learned that one slip of food in the mouth does not mean I have to continue slipping into a binge cycle. I ate well today and there are still Milanos and Oreos in the house, but tonight I chose to have a cup of chai tea and no cookies or any snack. Still trying not to eat at night. I originally said 7 p.m. but I'm happy if I don't eat after 9 since I am a night owl.

I'd love to hear from others who are on or who have been through this journey.

Gut Instinct: One (or eleven) cookies doesn't have to lead to an all out binge. Move on and continue on the path to wellness.


No comments: