Friday, October 12, 2007

Boot Camp: Last Day of Week 2

When I went to bed last night my ankle looked like a baseball..big and round and hard. I slathered arnica cream on it all night. It's a homeopathic remedy that helps bruising, swelling and soreness. I also took an oral form of arnica as well. When I woke up this morning, the swelling was pretty much gone but in its place was a nice purple and black bruise. It felt stiff and so I stepped off my bed gently and limped my way around to get ready for boot camp. Yes, I was going to boot camp. I did not want to miss one day. It didn't matter to me if I was just going to sit and watch, damn it, I was going. I rubbed more arnica cream and put an ankle support on to help keep any potential swelling to a minimum.

For the first time I was late to boot camp. They had already started the warm-ups so I joined right in with what I could. A few said it was good to see me and I think Cyndi was happy I was there too. They wanted to know how my ankle was and if it was still sore. One woman called me a "trooper."
I told them all I just couldn't miss it. I'm committed to this boot camp, NO, I am committed to myself , my health, for the first time in a long time.

Again the main event was a team activity involving running, dragging a tire behind you, squats, push-ups, sit-ups, high knees, burpees, weight lifting, and carrying a 40-pound bag. I could do some of those but for the running and the walking ones I did the rowing machine. This is going to sound odd, but I was disappointed that I couldn't do the tire dragging and the 40-lb bag. Those are challenges I would have liked to try. But I am thinking about doing boot camp again sometime so I am sure at some point I will get to do them.

I am hopeful that over the weekend my ankle will heal more and by Monday I will be able to do a little bit more. And more each day. Only 2 weeks left and I want the best possible results. This has been an exciting, invigorating and challenging two weeks. I have gotten stronger in just two weeks...body, mind and spirit. This boot camp has been about so much more for me. I am stretching my physical and mental limits beyond anything I could imagine.

Gut Instinct: An injury doesn't mean you have to quit or sit out, just re-adjust the workout to use other parts of your body to keep your metabolism and muscles working.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your determination is inspiring!
sea glass girl