Thursday, October 11, 2007

Boot Camp: Injury-a rite of passage to fitness?

Week 2 Day 4 and yesterday I wrote that I felt like I needed a break. Well, God, or Universe if you will, listens and gives. But I wish it wasn't so literal. Let me explain. Today, raining and grey, I went off to boot camp knowing it was probably going to be a cardio day because we did alot of weight work yesterday. The white board had the word "run" on it several times. UGH. More running. But, hey, I know cardio is what burns the fat and I thought to myself I will do the best I can.

We start by doing some intense rotations of push-ups, squats and sit-ups. And because I struggle doing the standard push-up Cyndi told me she wanted me to try something new. She had me suspend myself from a giant band attached to a pole in the gym and do push-ups that way. The band would support me so I could do plank push-ups and build up my upper strength. It was fun actually. That was all indoors then we moved outside and that's when the trouble began.

We laid our yoga mats on the wet ground and they became spongelike from the rainy mist. We were going to do alternate sets of exercises with a run in-between. The first exercise was a "high knee." We were to step up on this cement, short wall, like a sidewalk, with one leg and bring the other leg up high but not touch the step with it and bring it back down to the street level and do that over and over. The first time I tried I lost my balance but regained it quickly then I thought I had myself in good form and then...boom..crack...I went down on my ankle all the way to the ground. Shit. I thought I heard something crack. I have weak ankles to begin with and my left ankle has been sprained more times than I can remember. It's why I don't ice skate or rollerblade. I heard Cyndi say "Ohmygod, are you all right?" And I said I hurt my ankle. We looked at it, it hadn't started to swell so LeeAnn, a woman in class who owns a holistic center in town came over and performed reiki on my ankle immediately. Her hands emitted such warmth, I could feel the pain leave my ankle and go up my toes and out. Literally that is what it felt like. I laid on the wet ground while she raised my foot and wrapped her hands around my ankle. I laughed and told Cyndi, "Well I guess I don't have to do all that running now." I finally felt ready to sit up and I tried to stand. I could wiggle my ankle so we figured it probably wasn't broken. As Cyndi and I walked back to the gym she mentioned that this particular day of previous boot camps several people had gotten hurt before and that they will have to take a look at this to see if there is something that needs to be changed. She also said that maybe my body wasn't ready for that particular exercise because it does require a lot of stability and balance. I limped my way inside and told Cyndi I wanted to keep working out. She put me on the rowing machine, which I've never tried before, and I did most of my workout there in addition to the push-ups, sit-ups and chest-to-knee pulls none of which involved my feet. By the way, the rowing machine is an intense workout. Upper and lower body. Feel it everywhere. I probably should have gone home and put my feet up but I cannot tell you how mad, how seriously angry I was for falling. I wanted to do the workout. I want to do this boot camp. I do not want to quit.

Yesterday I wrote I wanted a break but I didn't want to break or sprain any bones to get it. I guess I have to be careful what I wish for because I don't know if I'll be able to workout tomorrow.However, I do plan on going and doing anything I can do without hurting my ankle. To top the day off I also got my period for the first time in two months...sorry if that's too much info. But it's relevant because I think it effects the way your body works and it could have affected my balance today, which admittedly isn't great but I felt like I was doing it. Plus I also had to work at the bookstore which means I'd be on my feet all day. I should have called in sick but I was hoping that if I keep moving, my ankle will do better. I got some arnica gel and homeopathic meds to help the swelling and bruising and I also bought an ankle support and a cold wrap pack to put around my ankle while I work. Work was fine and I limped my way around the store. By the time I got home, my ankle was swollen and black and blue. I raised my ankle and put more icepacks on it. Thankfully, my daughter made dinner AND cleaned up.

I am praying that my ankle heals quickly so that I can do the rest of the month of boot camp. I am so mad and sad as I write this I could cry.

Gut Instinct: Ask, believe, receive. Be sure of what you wish for, you may just get it.
(I hope that means my ankle will be better by Monday.)

1 comment:

stayathomefeminist said...

Oh Dottie,
I feel AWFUL for you. Just terrible. You got half way through this month-llong challenge, I hope your feeling better today or you've been to the doctor. What a disappointment. What guts to do more exercise while injured. You have a warrior spirit. I don't know why this happened other than the body sometimes takes over. But be proud of what you have accomplished and be gentle and tend to yourself now too! Sea Glass Girl