Monday, October 8, 2007

Boot Camp: Week 2, Day 1

Mondays are probably the hardest day to workout. Especially Mondays like today. It was pouring out and even though I love rainy days, it's hard to get motivated. Boot camp is never cancelled because of weather (unless I'm assuming there's a blizzard). I knew I had to get up and go. It would have been so easy to stay in bed. The kids were all sleeping and I wanted to crawl back under those covers. But actually I got up early enough to eat a small, light breakfast of fruit salad and cheese, and I even had time to do my morning pages. If you've never read "The Artist Way" by Julia Cameron, I would highly recommend it especially if you are a creative person. In the book she suggests you write 3 pages of stream of consciousness when you first wake up in the morning. It gets rid of all the busyness and crap in your head. But I digress.

Dressed, fed physically and mentally, I made my way to boot camp. Not one person from my group was there and it was five of nine. Cyndi figured the rain was keeping them away, then one of the young girls showed up and Cyndi called us "die-hards." I had to giggle...me a diehard?? Eventually a few more showed up plus a couple from another class. After a short run in the rain we were able to stay inside for today's main event which was a ladder/progressive workout. We split into teams of 2 and we had a list of exercises to do until the count of 10 but we alternated. The first person in the team did one push-up then the other member did one, back and forth until a team reached 10 and 10. We did burpees which I still struggle with, Russian twists, jumping squats, lunges, jumping jacks, over head dumbbell press. I found the overhead press, even with only 10 lb weights in each hand, difficult to do. It seems my right arm is weaker than my left which surprises me since I am right-handed. But whenever we do something where my right hand has to hold my weight or 10-15 lb weights, I struggle, my arm shakes, I can feel slight pain. I can do bicep curls with no problem most of the time. As usual the workout was fabulous and I left feeling very energized.T he main event went quick today and we got into our stretching and the day was done. YAY! Week 2 day 1!!

I went home, had a brunch with one of my daughters and afterwards we put up the Halloween decorations. I love the orange lights on my porch, very festive yet soothing. Lighted haunted houses, black cat candleholders and some wall hangings complete the decorating.

On my way home from boot camp I had stopped at one of those little vegetable stands people have in front of their homes and bought some fresh corn that we would have for dinner tonight. Corn is not the best food because it is a high carb food but we never have it and let me tell you, it was the most delicious corn on the cob I have had in a long time! We had chicken and salad with it so the meal wasn't too carb-licious.

Gut Instinct: One side of your body may likely be stronger than the other. Work out both sides equally and eventually the weaker side will catch up.

No comments: