Monday, November 5, 2007

Not all about boot camp

It's about the food too. This blog started out as an intuitive eating journal...a place to talk about food challenges, eating right and still being able to enjoy the sweet and salty of life. During boot camp I got away from writing about it, but it remained an integral part of the experience. Somehow, food truly did become less of an issue on a daily basis. I started to understand the food is fuel mantra. I said in a previous post that food became a non-issue and that is something I never thought I'd say or think so soon in my weight loss journey.

However, this weekend I didn't do too much exercise and I craved sweets. I ate a couple of cookies which in of itself is not "bad" but what it could potentially set in motion could be bad for my health. I wanted more. Nothing in my cabinets or fridge satisfied me. I did not want an apple or a banana, no sugar snap peas or hummus...no I wanted ice cream, cookies, brownies. Good thing I only had two cookies in the house because I could have done some major bingeing! Not quite sure what caused my sweet tooth to emerge so insistent.

So what to my dismay did I find when I went to work on Sunday? Munchkins from Dunkin Donuts, UGH. I avoided them for awhile by keeping busy doing work but when we gathered for the store meeting, I sat down and ate about 6 munchkins in a row. I can't tell you the last time I ate a munchkin, or a donut of any kind for that matter. And for anyone who has been eating healthy, they can tell you what happened to me next. A short while later, I ended up with a severe stomach ache and cramps. My body can't seem to take all that fat and those carbs. I spent alot of time in the bathroom and was reminded why I don't eat that crap anymore. It tastes good going down but...well, you get the picture.

You'd think I would have learned my lesson. But no. For lunch my coworker brought me back a hamburger happy meal for lunch. UGH DOUBLE UGH. More stomach aches. When I went home, for dinner I tried to make up for all the bad choices I made earlier in the day. I made whole wheat pasta, some tuna and a salad. YUM.

However, the trend continued today, Monday. I went to the first day of boot camp (more on that later) and decided to go to the movies. I planned on bringing healthy snacks with me but I would have been late so what did I choose? Not plain popcorn, no, I got an order of nachos and that fake bright yellow cheese. I did get a large bottle of water. And tonight I made a roasted chicken with brown basmati rice and asparagus. Good healthy and delicious food. I am getting back on track now.

Even though I craved sweets, believe it or not, I did not eat any Halloween candy. The candy hasn't really interested me.

Back on track........

Gut Instinct: Just because you might have a few days of less than perfect eating, it doesn't mean you blew it. Get back to good, healthy, delicious food as soon as you can.

No comments: