Friday, November 2, 2007

The week between boot camps

Boot Camp doesn't officially start until Monday, November 5th but for a few days this week I did metabolic training. Metabolic training is similar to boot camp but a little bit harder I'd have to say. For example, I bench pressed 65 pounds and dead lifted 35 lbs. (which isn't a lot but I didn't want to overdo it.)
I also had to jump rope which I was never good at when I was 10 but I tried. I did it more like skip rope but I had to do it for 150 reps!!! One day we had to do knees to chest while hanging from a bar. Admittedly, I had a hard time. I don't have a lot of upper body strength and for some reason I can't do certain exercises where I have to lift my legs up...I think I lack some hip flexibility. Also, I am a little bit fearful of heights and to get up to the bar I had to step up on two stools and then I am afraid of missing the stool when I come down. Actually one day we were doing chin-ups and I was so afraid of falling Cindy had me do chin-ups on the rings (near the floor) instead. Cardio days are alternated with more weight focused days to give your muscles a rest. I like the weight training days better. But I know I am burning fat on the cardio days because I get all redfaced and sweaty and I feel like the fat is melting off. That's a good thing.

These workouts are much more than physical. Emotionally I feel stronger (well, most of the time) and even though I am working my body, a lot of it is mental. For example, you wouldn't think playing wall ball would be difficult, but imagine you're throwing a 6-8 pound (or more) weighted ball against the wall and you have to catch it and throw it quickly for 75 times. You feel it in every arm, shoulder, chest muscles including the abs...but to do it all you have to tell yourself you can do it. Literally, during some exercises where I have to do multiple reps with a heavy weight, I find myself closing my eyes to finish the exercise. I can focus better when I close my eyes. I don't know if anyone else does that but it works for me. I also have to think myself through some workouts and remind myself that I am getting stronger and losing fat and that all this work is worth it.

I've found that my posture seems straighter. My confidence is building. Self-esteem is improving. My clothes are looser, I can see my muscles, people are noticing and it feels wonderful. I can see myself 100 pounds lighter in less than a year from now.
I am changing in body, mind and spirit.

Gut Instinct: Visualize your body at its perfect weight. It's a great motivator!

No comments: