Monday, July 7, 2008

TABATA Day

After a very long and overindulgent ( food and alcohol) holiday weekend I looked forward to working out at Cynergy. I am a little nervous when I go to CrossFit because I never know what to expect and it seems much more intense than boot camp. I could go to 7 am boot camp but it's still early for me PLUS I am ready for the change and challenge of CrossFit.

As par my normal routine, I got up late and grabbed an apple, some peanut butter (I have to have protein in the a.m.) and a bottle of water. Today was the first day of the boot camps so there were a few boot campers finishing up. Went inside and read the white board for the day's event or workout. When I saw what was in store I was glad I ate--food is fuel and this workout needs alot of fuel!

Today's workout started with push-ups, squats, hanging from bar and chin to knees followed by stretching. The main event involved alot of weight lifting. We did a little skills work and then went on to individual work. This was a tabata which means you work for 20 seconds with 10 seconds rest for 8 rounds. No one seems to know what tabata means...I came up with this:
Toned Abs Bootylicious Ass Through Ass-kicking (workout) because if I did tabata everyday I think it would whip me into shape FAST!But thank goodness it isn't everyday...but anyway here's the workout.
First: Back Squat with barbell-supposed to be 45 pounds but after 2 rounds I had to switch to 25 pounds. Working my way up. You put the weight behind you with the bar on your back and squat (your butt should touch the ball behind you. I get close but not there yet.
My low number (which we had to post on the whiteboard) was 6.
Second: Dead Lift next--some women did 95 pounds, I did 65. I love this one even though I'm working on getting my form right. Bend at knees with back straight and chin up and lift to hip area. I think my low number was 3.
Third: Push Press: Again with the barbell-and 45 pounds.-but I did 25. Pick up the barbell and bend knees then PUSH the weight over your head as you straighten your legs. 5 was my low number.
Fourth: Push-Ups-working more with form so I did push-ups on my knees so that I could have better range of motion and get closer to the floor. 4 was my low number (I think).

It was a sweaty workout but I felt great when we did the stretching at the end. I always leave feeling exhilarated!!

Gut Instinct: Food is Fuel and you need to FUEL you body before intense workouts like tabata. But even if you're walking or doing some light weights always FUEL YOUR BODY FIRST.

No comments: